Saturday, March 19, 2011

treasures and little pleasures

I have really been enjoying my recent embroidery projects, with so many ideas coming through me!! I made a deal with myself that I am not to begin the larger projects until I take care of the paperwork and accounting for Jayson's business. Sewing is just much more enjoyable than sorting through receipts!

In the meantime, I am happily distracting myself with little projects. Recent thrift store finds are being turned into clothing that Leaf enjoys wearing, and I have that Mama-satisfaction of seeing my little one prancing about in something that my hands have lovingly touched.

A simple brown dress. I added some flying birds using a favorite old T-shirt that finally fell apart, cutting out the shapes and just sewing on. Nothing fancy, but I find it very pleasing (minus the wrinkles).


A plain T-shirt. Leaf is so into cats and wants to wear cat shirts every day. To replace the hot pink "Hello Kitty" shirt from grandma: I used the same old T-shirt as the previous dress and cut out a silhouette of a cat; sewed it on and added some whiskers with embroidery thread. I prefer these simple designs. It's L's new favorite shirt (sporting the very wrinkled look as well).


Another jumper and work-in-progress. This is a shot of the back, what I have accomplished so far with embroidery thread. Hmmm, I'm not much into ironing, can you tell?


I love the fact that a package arrived yesterday from my grandmother, and guess what was inside?


I also found some old wool sweaters and coats that were tattered and in pieces. I turned them into bluebirds for the spring table, and they have already laid some eggs! I see more of these coming soon to give as gifts to my dear friend who is healing from surgery.


Other magical finds, a lovely quilt and spring-themed books.


I Love My Little Storybook is one of the sweetest stories, a new favorite of mine.

Wishing you a Happy Spring, a Magical Full Moon, and may you find some treasures and pleasures this weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Love it. You're breathed art into those clothes. The dress with the birds is my favorite. (As for me, I plug my iron in like twice a year, LOL.)

    Love the quilt and books. You and I are on the same wavelength. We'd make a good thrift shopping team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love thrift stores! What fabulous score!! i LOVE the little brown dress with birds. it's perfect! It's so great being able to re-purpose things, or turn something simple into something amazing. Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the dresses. I only have boys so I'm thinking of arting-up their shirts.
    Thrifting is so much fun, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the birds on the brown dress! lovely! Great idea. I seem keep making the same tree with a bird and putting it on everything... Need some new inspiration. Time to crack open a journal again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much goodness in your post - the great thrifting finds and creative ways you added to them, wonderful books and such sweet birds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those birds are so cute! And is tonight a full moon? No wonder...

    ReplyDelete